Social Icons

Follow My Twitter! Find Me On Facebook! google plus rss feed Email Me

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Visit From Author A.L. Kay

Today I have the super cool A.L. Kay, author of Nightmares and Redwine, stopping by my blog for an interview! Please check out this amazing author! 

1)    Can you tell us a little about yourself?
Oh, goodness.  Now I have to talk about myself?  Hehe.  Just kidding.  J  My name is A.L. Kay and I am what you’d call a ‘newbie’ published author, but I am not new to the business of publishing, editing, and all things books.  I love reading, writing and editing.  I love it so much, that I started my own editing company and am a freelance editor for authors.  I am not, however, here to talk about my day job. 

2)    Please tell us about your novel(s).
The biggest thing I have going on right now is the release of “Red Wine”.  It released on October 1st, 2011.  Weirdly enough, that’s my publisher’s companies “birthday”.  It is an anthology with four short twisted tales by four authors, myself being one.  I am lucky to be accompanied by these lovely ladies in this book of tales.  

3)    What is your favorite part about writing?
I love how, when writing, I feel at peace and as if I am in a different world; I like different worlds.  It makes me happy and feel creative.

4)    Would you say your work is character driven or plot driven?
I think my work is “whatever happens when I type” driven.  Hehe.  I write, that’s all I do.  I do not plot out the stories.  I write whatever comes to me, and it’s like the tale is being told through me from them; I just have to get it written correctly to make them happy.

5)    What inspires you to explore different themes in your stories? Did you experience any roadblocks while getting into the different characters?
I think every author hits roadblocks at some point.  I currently have about 5 or 6 WIPs (works in progress) going on.  The reason I have so many?  Because my brain kept coming up with things and I had to write them down right then and there.  The problem?  I have hit a wall in all of them.  The good news?  I am so going to climb over this wall like a soldier and hit the ground running.

I write down whatever inspires me.  It could be the rain, my kids, a car, a cloud, a random person, etc.  I do not think I really ‘explore’ different themes as much as I just do whatever the ‘characters’/my brain tell me to write. 


6)    How have your friends and family reacted to your writing?
They are very proud and are happy for me.  My friend, Alicia, and I read the first ever review of “Red Wine” together and I ended up squealing.  We were on what’s called the shuttle from campus going to my car when we read it.  I think it’s a good idea I waited to squeal after I got off the shuttle, otherwise they might have tried to commit me.  ;)   

7)    What would you say your greatest strength as a writer is?
Coming up with the stories, the plot, the reasoning, and how characters are.  My weakest?  (I know you want to know)  Actually writing it down the way it’s supposed to go.  I have it in my head, I see it in my head, but getting it down sometimes is a bit more difficult.


8)    How would you describe your writing process? Do you make an outline first?  
I write whatever comes to me, whatever I see in my head.  No planning at all.  I have no clue what might happen in my own work.

9)    I love reading independent authors. Do you have a favorite you can recommend?
YES!  I love, love, love Veronica Blade.  Should I say love again?  I really do love her work.  She has one out right now called “Something Witchy This Way Comes” on Amazon and I suggest everyone go and buy it, along with “Red Wine”.

10)           Do you have any words of wisdom for anyone considering self-publishing?  
Seriously look into it.  Since I have had experience in all aspects of the author world, I would just suggest that you understand what you are getting into, all the work you have to do for yourself.

11)           What are your future plans in writing?  
To finish my WIPs and I have a ‘short’ coming out for Valentine’s Day.  J  I might have more things coming out before then, who knows? 

12)           Is there anything else you would like to share with us today?
I would like to say thank you to the readers and to you, Bonnie, for having me on here.  There is one more little promotion I would like to do.  I have a short story in an anthology called “Ghostly Reflections”.  The proceeds go to Make A Wish Foundation, so please keep an eye out for this anthology.  J


Thank you so much for the interview! I can't wait to get my copy of Red Wine!







Blurbs:
In the short story, "Red Wine", you dive into the mind of a psychotic lover’s dark revenge.

In "Ginn Hunter", the hunter becomes the hunted when Seth Fautuex seeks revenge.

"Leela": Orphaned and alone, a girl must triumph against an insidious creature shrouded in myth.

"Birth of a Vampire" takes you deep into the mind of girl who is broken, but about to be reborn, bathed in blood.'

Words from Reviewers:
“BLOODTASTIC! 5 of 5! These are the best short stories I have ever read by the talented ladies. Want a good scary story read this book and be prepared to be scared! Best Anthology ever! EPIC READ!” ~Taneesha Freidus of Adiaryofabookaddict.blogspot.com.
“The stories are well done. Good chilling tales that were well written and well edited. All four of these authors have a knack for writing great characters.” ~Linna Drehmel of Linna-drehmel.blogspot.com


Where can you get this awesome read?  



3 comments:

roro said...

lovly intreview

Bonnie said...

Thank you Roro! :D

I had fun learning more about her and writing process!

Anonymous said...

There are many different ways to achieve this depending on your area and your
market. Consistency also means you have to sustain your communication with your customers.
The beauty of RSS really is in its simplicity in getting your message across to your target group, instead of resorting (possibly) to phishing or spam emails in an attempt to generate
interest in your site or product or service.

my webpage - online marketing assistant jobs; ,

 

Breaking

Breaking

Flame Played

Flame Played
Coming 2013

Fate Fallen

Fate Fallen
Coming 2014

Book Blogs Member!

Jade

Jade