Social Icons

Follow My Twitter! Find Me On Facebook! google plus rss feed Email Me

Friday, January 6, 2012

Review: Scent of a White Rose

Review: Scent of a White Rose by Tish Thawer



* * * * *

When my author friends have new books coming out, I love to support them by inviting them to guest post on my blog and to do interviews. When I learned that Tish Thawer’s novel, Scent of a White Rose, was being released, I wanted to do more than just invite her to make my blog a stop on her tour – I desired the pleasure of being able to drift away into her unique paranormal world with an ARC copy of my own to escape into! So, with my boys at school and hubby at work, (my afternoon free from distraction), I pulled out my new fleece blanket, favorite fuzzy socks, and a cup of gingerbread coffee and curled up by the fire with my Kindle Fire. Within moments of the very first chapter, I was swept into Thawer’s paranormal romance that was filled with suspense and bits of mystery, creepy antagonists and sexy vampires – all much to my liking!

This book had all of the elements I enjoy in a young adult paranormal romance.

1) The characters are multidimensional and interesting. Although there were times I wanted to chastise Rose for having the language of a truck driver or smack her Dad for being blind and controlling – the flaws Thawer crafted in her characters make them realistic and believable. She didn’t take a cookie cutter approach which was refreshing. For example – there were times I thought Rose was too immature for 20, but then, taking into consideration how much she and her father had been through – it made sense.

2) Excellent Pacing. This author has mastered her narrative drive which I personally appreciate. Her writing his crisp and to the point – there are no pages of nonstop scenery slowing down the action!

3) Steamy Romance. I loved the relationship between these two lovers. It wasn’t co-dependent and creepy, but they really had deep emotions for each other. How that will be resolved in the future books shall be interesting. (If Rose can’t be Christian’s consort – every available female reader will want the job!)

4) Multiple Points of View. Maybe I’m biased because that is a writing technique that I employ myself, but I find it refreshing to not just be in one person’s head. Of course, it will depend on the novel but I think the author gave us just enough insight into each of the main characters to provide an appropriate amount of structure and to further the plot.

5) Just the right length. We’ve all read books that have either ended too abruptly or went on and on long after the plot was dead. Not the case for Scent of a White Rose. It was a pleasurable quick read that left enough intrigue and care for the characters that I will want to read the others in the series without being overdone.

Overall – excellent book and I recommend it if you are a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, The Blood Coven Vampire Series by Mari Mancusi, Rachel Caine’s Morganville Vampire’s Series, and of course, my first novel, Fate Fixed. I highly recommend the read and give it five out five stars.  

So, where can you buy this gem?

Amazon:Here

Barnes & Noble: Here

Smashwords: Here

3 comments:

Tish Thawer said...

Bonnie, you have left me speechless! Thank you for the wonderful review!

Bonnie said...

Thank YOU Tish for the pleasurable read!!! :D

Espana said...

Tish Thawer is a creative new author who has just published her first book in the Rose Trilogy series. "Scent of a White Rose" is a story about a vampire who falls in love with a beautiful human but this story is not typical. Tish adds her own unique spin that makes Rose and Christian's story intriguing. The plot twists will definitely have you turning the pages to see what is going to happen next. Rose's journey has only just begun and I look forward to reading the rest of this series. What direction will Rose take in her new life, so many choices...which will she choose? When I finished reading this, I literally thought "How long do I have to wait for the next book?" This series is going to be one to watch.

 

Breaking

Breaking

Flame Played

Flame Played
Coming 2013

Fate Fallen

Fate Fallen
Coming 2014

Book Blogs Member!

Jade

Jade